It was started by a mother, Charlotte, who simply wanted to help her young daughter, Sandra:
In 1994, 2 year old Sandra was suffering from eczema and severe allergies. To relieve her obvious distress and itching, her mother, Charlotte, decided to get to the bottom of the problem.
Getting to the root of Sandra’s allergies, personal care products.
Charlotte discovered that many of Sandra’s skin allergies were linked to chemical based household and personal care products. This is because exposure to toxic chemicals causes a build-up in the body which can lead to allergies and sensitivities. Although steroid-based treatments were suggested, Charlotte did not want her daughter’s skin to be exposed to such harsh chemicals and decided to look for natural skin care products instead.
However, when she started looking into what some of these products contained, she was dismayed to find that even those advertised as ‘natural’ could contain up to 99.9% synthetic chemicals.
Charlotte says: “From that moment, I realised that we all are children of the chemical age and that man-made chemicals found everywhere, combined with changing dietary habits, profoundly affect us all.”
Did you know?
- 1 in 4 people now suffer from skin sensitivities or allergies
- 100,000 tonnes of man-made chemicals are used in so-called ‘natural’ and ‘organic’ cosmetic products each year.
- Up to 60% of a substance can be absorbed through the skin.
- Synthetic chemicals entering the skin bypass the liver and go straight into the bloodstream. They are not degraded unlike chemicals in food.
- Many of these chemicals are known to be harmful in isolation.
- Synthetic chemicals accumulate in the body and are stored in organic and fatty tissues causing a cocktail effect that can lead to eczema, allergies and immune disorders.
Charlotte was so impressed by the difference that her natural methods and home-made natural skin care products had made that she thought she should share her discoveries with others. So Green People was born.
“With a nursing background, knowledge of herbal medicine, and more than 11 years of experience within the pharmaceutical industry, I decided to take action,” she says.
1997: The beginnings of Green People
What followed was several years of intensive product development which saw the very first Green People products taking shape. By 1997, they were hitting the shelves.
The natural, alcohol-free, paraben free products soon became popular amongst those looking to live an organic lifestyle, naturally free of harsh chemicals.
From the very beginning, Charlotte vowed never to use any aggressive ingredients or synthetic chemicals such as Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS), Parabens, phthalates, petrochemicals, alcohol (ethanol) or synthetic fragrances or colourants in her products.